07 December 2011

Patagonian Peregrination Part 8

The next part of my day yesterday was actually walking through the Los Glacieres Parque Nacional. It was so nice. It was raining but there was something about walking around the paths and woods alone hearing the cracking of the glacier that was just really cool. The flowers that were blooming because it is spring/summer here after all, were just pretty and the whole thing seemed like it was a scene out of some National Geographic movie or something.

While the park is mainly to protect the major glaciers in the area it also protects the surrounding woodlands which is pretty awesome. There is a station sort of like in the states where you can stop and get lunch, so of course I did. And guess what I had.....Calafate flavored ice cream. As I was eating I think I heard "look at that" and "he's crazy" in at least 5 or 6 different languages. I mean it was cold and windy and raining a little bit but I was not going to pass up a chance to try the local ice cream.....I mean c'mon..... It was really good actually.

It was fairly reminiscent of what I imagine blueberry ice cream would taste like. Delicious...


What else can I say about this part of my trip...not much that the pictures I post won't say so I guess I am just going to post them and let you see for yourself....I'll post the flowers first and then the landscape ones....





This is a picture of the El Calafate berry, doesn't it even sort of look like a blueberry!








This is some glacial ice falling into the water!

Just a beach shot because I couldn't resist!



I realized in re-reading both of my last two posts that it appears I am on some sort of a vacation to the Glacier National Park in Argentina. Let me assure you this is not the case. I actually had a lovely meeting over breakfast at my hotel with a nurse from Great Britain who was expounding upon her perceived differences between the Argentine and UK health systems. Additionally, while trekking through the park I had an on the trail discussion with two nurses from New Zealand to understand their view of their healthcare system and make comparisons between Argentina and the US. So I repeat this was NOT a vacation, but rather a trip to have some meetings and discuss healthcare systems with different nurses abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment