03 December 2011

Patagonian Peregrination Part 1

That's right the first in another multi-part series....Patagonia. Since my crazy hectic week was over I decided it was time to see a little more of Argentina. So I got on a plane and headed first for Ushuaia and soon to come el Calafate. I got into Ushaia this evening around 5:30. My flight was supposed to depart from Buenos Aires at 12:45 but in true Argentine form didn't even take off until about 1:30, which was fine because what did I care. I actually got really lucky on the flight I was the only person on the whole flight who did not have to sit next to anyone!! I got so excited....I always think that is the most awkward part of any flight sitting next to someone you don't know or worse yet someone who smells badly. I actually booked the trip through a travel agent in Buenos Aires so I have the whole thing planned for me and I basically just have to show up....it is AWESOME!!!

Now for my geographically challenged let me point out on a map of Argentina where Ushuaia actually is....


Actually the big touristy slogan for Ushuaia is come see "the End of the World". Its interesting to say the least. The place is very unique. There are boat trips and excursions available all over the place, there are a ton of tourists, I think more people speak English here than they do in Buenos Aires (that may be an exaggeration but I'm honestly not sure), there are trips that leave for Antarctica, and then there are all the locals. I have never really seen anything like it to be honest. 

I am staying at a gorgeous hotel. Seriously from the outside it doesn't look like much but it is a great place call Mil810! Here are some pictures of my room and the view from the dining room/cafe.



                                                        
                                         
                                        This is the cafe which has a balcony where I took the following pictures...







After scoping out the view from my hotel and checking the hotel out which is really just awesome I decided to trek down to the main road in this part of town called San Martin. Below is a picture of the giant hill I had to climb down and then back up to head to the main part of town. Then a bunch of pictures that I took of Ushuaia today. I'm sure there will be more to come tomorrow but I leave you with a few pictures, and by few I mean a lot and by leave you I mean head to the Irish Pub down the street from my hotel! 

The following two pictures are for those who may feel that this is simply a vacation....it is NOT!! I am doing RESEARCH on nursing conditions in all different parts of Argentina....as is demonstrated by my pictures of a nursing strike here in Ushuaia.....and that's my story and I am sticking to it!




 

This is for certain members of my family (you know who you are)!

By far the coolest tag I have seen here. It says "Ushuaia, the end of the World and the Beginning of Everything!" I LOVE that....I mean I don't think it will be the beginning of EVERYTHING for me but maybe the beginning of something! Here's to hoping! Now I am off to the pub!

No comments:

Post a Comment