24 September 2011

Making Friends

I've now been in Argentina for 3 days and am actually starting to have a semblance of a friend group. It reminds me so much of when I first went to college and was trying to decide which friends would be good friends to have and which ones I was definitely going to have to find a way to ditch (sorry if you're reading this and you're one of the ones I ditched......wait a minute who am I kidding the ones I ditched couldn't read ). 


There are some things that I have learned while being here for 3 days that really are the dos/don'ts of making friends in foreign countries. I think I'd like to share that list with you now:


1. Do help people remember their home country fondly and commiserate about the things you find weird about your new residence


         The commiseration really helps to create a bond with a new stranger. Neither of you is alone now because you share a commonality of thinking all these new people really do something weird. You're not abnormal, they are!


2. Do help people from the new country forget where you're from/commiserate about how weird people from your country are.


     Since coming to this city I have been confused several times for a local, once was on the street when I was asked for directions, once was in the supermarket when a patron asked me where to find the jelly, and several times at the bar people assume I'm Argentine. So long as I fake my Spanish well and tell them honestly where I'm from they suddenly are thrilled to have met me.


3. Do bake 


     I learned this lesson, I think it must have been from my mother. If you bake food and offer it to people, Instant FRIENDS! Its amazing what a batch of brownies can do to make people like you more. This is what I did to meet my neighbors actually. Worked like a charm (I think)! And the best thing is it is universal.....however you have to make sure people realize you didn't make special brownies, that's just a little side note because they become greatly disappointed if they're waiting for something to happen and all they get is a sugar high. Just saying.


4. Do NOT sit in the middle of your friends at the bar/when you're out


     Always sit on the outside...not because you don't like your friends but because by sitting on the outside you are the one any new people will likely talk to first in order to introduce themselves to your group of friends. You become the gate keeper and people wishing to meet anyone in your party must introduce themselves to you first. This way you know everyone that everyone else is talking to.


5. Do NOT be shy or demure


    If you're trying to make friends your best bet is to be all up in everyone's shiz....act like you're having a blast and they should be too because they're with you...hello! In all honesty, people like to be with others who are having a good time...so have a good time and enjoy yourself.


Those are my five rules and they seemed to have worked well so far.


Now some pictures from my brownie baking experience....and let me tell you it was an experience....the Argentine oven, the Spanish directions, and the metric units tried to stop me but you can't keep me down, especially with a bottle of wine from the Mendoza vineyards!
This is really the key to baking brownies in a foreign country on your first full day there....it helps jump start the creative juices...it lets you think "Yes this will be fun and Normal".
The directions: notice the metric units and the fact that they are in Spanish!
You know I always thought it was stupid they taught you things like
recipes and food in Spanish class before help I need an ambulance...
but clearly, which one did I need to know first?? I guess there's something to that.
I know its a pot and not a mixing bowl, but whatever!

My oven baking the brownies.















                                       
                                              The Final product and its inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment