21 September 2011

Leave-taking

"It would be good to live in a perpetual state of leave-taking, never to go nor to stray but to remain suspended in that golden emotion of love and longing; to be missed without being gone; to be loved without satiety. How beautiful one is and how desirable; for in a few moments one will cease to exist."

John Steinbeck, A Log from the Sea of Cortez


I think its only fitting that the blog on the day of my departure start with a quote from my favorite author. I'm excited, scared, anxious, apprehensive, curious, and happy all at the same time. I don't really know if I want to jump for joy or vomit from fear.

Am I really about to do this? Am I really going to South America, by myself, to live and work until December? What was I thinking?

Then it hits me as I am saying goodbye to my family. Of course I can do this! Not a problem. I'm going to go; have an amazing time; get several more entertaining stories to share with my family; I'll be back in time for Christmas. Why am I worried?

Its this combination of feelings that until you've gone away for some extended period of time you don't really understand. Steinbeck tries to explain it in Sea of Cortez as he is leaving port for the journey, but even his words, which I always find to be realistic and brilliant, fail to truly capture the mix of emotions that comes with leaving.

So here goes nothing....I'm off.....and now the blogging truly begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment