26 September 2011

Being a Tourist Part 1

SO this is part one of what I am assuming will be a multi-part series called Being a Tourist!


Yes....while here in Buenos Aires for as much as I want to blend in and have someone confuse me for a Porteño I will be having some touristy moments/days. The first of these touristy days was on my very first Sunday here in Buenos Aires. 


Myself and a new friend Alyssa (Shout out!) decided to head to Ave. 9 de Julio and to San Telmo to see both La Casa Rosada and the San Telmo Street Fair. One might thing trying to locate a massive pink house amongst a bunch of grey and black buildings would be easy, but let me assure you it is no easy feat at all. We must have searched for almost two hours and were on our way home before we actually found it. I took a lot of pictures....very touristy....and here they are with all of my lovely commentary of course!






I'm actually really proud of this picture....I managed to get the weird Don Quixote statue along with the wire dedication to Eva Peron on the side of this building. 
I have no idea who this man is
 but he is on a billboard in the middle of a major thoroughfare
 so he must be important right?


I don't exactly know what building this is but it looked important so I figured I should snap a picture....what do you think important or just someone being an ass and making a building look important to fool tourists.
La Escuela de Presidente Roca this is the link to their blog....feel free to check them out if you feel so inclined.










El Teatro Cervantes....one of the many theaters we saw on our journeys....I 'm thinking the number of theaters here actually outnumbers Boston and is coming up on NYC...I smell another blog post about BA theaters....thoughts?


Alyssa, my tourist partner in crime for the day in front of what I think is the equivalent of our minister of defense office, the building was Pentagon-esque...I mean besides the weird Glade artwork flowers you can sort of see in the left side of this picture....I mean nothing says protecting your country like a giant rainbow colored, smelly, Glade flower right?
This is the national Bank of Argentina. Its funny that all of these building are so close together to me and appear to have so little security around them. I guess that's what happens when most countries in the world don't hate you.





This building itself is actually pretty cool...if you look at the top you'll notice a scene of what I'm thinking is the Israelites and Moses v. the Egyptians...why its there I'm not sure but it certainly is interesting. 
The next two pictures are of La Casa Rosada. This is the equivalent of the Argentine White House. Currently the Argentina President is a woman. I only point these things out because I think its very interesting that in a country of Latino machismo they have a female president who lives in a pink house and they have pretty flower statues outside their minister of defense office. Again not drawing any conclusions about the masculinity of a country....but its very interesting...

La Casa Rosada





La Casa Rosada





                                  
  Last but not least a picture of me in front of a very large Argentine flag....If you notice I am smiling in this photo....its not because I'm happy its because I have officially lost it. At this point we had been searching for La Casa Rosada for at least 2 hours or so. I saw this really large flag from a good mile away and down a large hill and assumed that it must be the site of La Casa Rosada. Clearly you can tell by the picture there is no large pink house there. I suppose maybe why they don't need a lot of security isn't because a lot of countries hate them but that most people couldn't find them if their lives depended on it.

6 comments:

  1. Nice pictures, especially the one of you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up - enjoying the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, love reading and seeing your tours hope to continue your adventures via your entertaining blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that Big Ben behind you? You're so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. El hombre en la fotografía es Ernesto Sabato un escritor.

    Muy interesante tu blog (llegué desde Tumblr, ¿loco no? jaja). Me gustó leer como ves con tus ojos las diferentes cosas de mi país.

    Saludos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Probably you already know this by now, but the "interesting building" is the Metropolitan Cathedral o Catedral Metropolitana.

    Another one who got here from tumblr, and who likes your blog for the same reasons =p

    ReplyDelete