27 November 2011

South American Immigration

Well hello Everybody.....let me start with saying that I am SO sO So so SOOO sorry for not posting for so long. Life here in BA has gotten a little hectic for me. Good news is that this week I am determined to get up as many blog posts as I can....so be ready.


Today's post is actually about a conference I was able to attend thanks to my co-op at Ciudadanos del Mundo. Buenos Aires hosted a large immigration conference to discuss some of the issues that immigrants here in the city experience. The NGO was asked to go and have a table. Then when I was working they realized I had a camera and might be interested in going to hear the speakers and offered me the chance to go. I figured what would it hurt I really wasn't planning on doing anything crazy that night anyways. So I got in a cab with my boss and headed to one of the private universities here in BA that was hosting the event. 


Immediately when I got there I realized that I was invited for more than just my camera. One of the other groups who had been asked to have a table was the International Community of Women Living with HIV/AIDS. I was quickly introduced to their point person who was interested in looking at my women's health curriculum and if it may be of use to their organization. That was sort of exciting and nerve wracking all at the same time. All in all, I gave them my e-mail address and they gave me theirs and apparently I may be asked to a meeting before I leave to discuss some details further.


The actual conference itself was fairly interesting. It was panel style and in about 4 parts. I managed to see and listen to the last two parts. The speakers came from all over South and Central America. Some of the speakers I heard were from Mexico, Brazil, Bolivia, and Argentina. It was very interesting to hear all of the speakers for a number of reasons. One reason is that I loved being able to hear the difference in dialect in an hour span. I got to hear Spanish from Mexico, Bolivia, and Argentina and really contrast the different sounds with certain letters and words. I was actually amazed at how different they all sounded. The other thing that was interesting is that a common point that every speaker made was about the difficulties of immigration in the US. 


I was fascinated honestly. The US was the butt of more than one joke at the conference. All of the speakers seemed to have the same opinion that when it came to immigration it was all fine among Latin American countries, but the minute any Latin American tried to immigrate to the US it wasn't possible. It was baffling to hear about the US immigration issues outside of our own country. The speakers were all fantastic and truly believed in a person's right to immigration. But to hear them say that norteamericanos, didn't understand that truly brought home to me just how screwed up our immigration system in the US is. 


Here in Argentina immigrants are allowed to move and regardless of their immigrant status receive most of the government benefits of a citizen. This includes a right to healthcare and education. Immigration here is something that the Argentines value. Having a diverse set of people from Lebanon, Pakistan, the Dominican Republic, China, Germany, and the list continues really has provided Argentina with the rich culture they have today. 


The most striking thing to me about the immigration conference were the number of people who came up to me to ask me about Herman Cain. Yes, seriously he has become a major point of contingency here in Argentina. More than one person on more than one occasion has come up to me to discuss his ideas and beliefs about immigration. Most of the people I speak with believe he is the Republic nomination for President and I have to explain that he is not. I then further explain that I don't believe he will be the Republican nomination either. Truthfully this is the first time that I realized how American politics really play out internationally. 


Here is a video of what they asked me about


The idea that some of Herman Cain's comments about an electrocuted fence to keep out people from Mexico has become a regular talking point about the United States abroad worries me. News and media organizations that choose to take one comment from any candidate and play it repeatedly to create a dialogue or persona really don't think about the implications outside of the US. 


I truly feel most people in the US hear something like that and blow it off as some candidate preaching to get votes, but people abroad hear that and think it is something US citizens are taking seriously. It makes me worry about the impression the US gives abroad. If a news or media organization is going to distort a comment or have some sort of values that they choose to let guide their reporting then I think there needs to be more responsibility in terms of the international consequences. 


OKay! Sorry about that....it just was sort of in my head and needed out. I'm better now. So here are some pictures of the conference. ENJOY!!


This is me and one of the social workers Veronica, before I left for the conference.

Me next to the sign and our table!
My two bosses next to the table.


A line of students trying to talk to the panel.

Panel Number 2 that I saw.

Panel Number 1 that I saw.

My boss with two of the panelists.

My boss with more of the panelists.

1 comment:

  1. i cannot believe you showed up wearing flip flops. Unforgivable

    ReplyDelete