05 November 2011

Dog Walkers

Here in Buenos Aires dogs are EVERYWHERE!! I think almost everyone has a dog.....or takes care of a stray. There are no leash laws here, but that is because they don't need them. I have never seen dogs more well behaved than the dogs here in Argentina. They are completely obedient and never want to leave their owner's sides. People here have unique relationships with their dogs too. Its not like the US where you see people dressing their dog up in some stupid outfit but it would not be odd to see someone sharing an ice cream cone with their dog. Its just very unusual to me to be completely honest with you.

One observation I have made is the skills of the dog walkers in this city. They could have anywhere between 8 and I think the most I've seen is like 20 dogs on one giant lead and are really able to control all of them quite easily. Within my first week here I realized that stupid show in the US about Cesar the dog whisperer was really not impressive. Basically in Buenos Aires, Cesar is the equivalent of your local dog walker in terms of ability to communicate and train an animal.

The most unusual thing about the dog walkers is watching them early in the morning as they are getting to the dog park. When I use to take Spanish lessons somewhere in the city I was often early and waited in a park with a coffee people watching before I headed into the classroom and noticed quite quickly the interesting patterns about the dog walkers. Certain dogs are given free reign within the park. Basically it seems like these are the older, bigger, slower dogs. Then there is the set of dogs that are released into the dog park area. This dog park area exists I think in every park I have gone to. A giant fence, a dirt ground, and plenty of space for dogs to run around like fools. The dogs in this area seem to be younger and very much full of energy. Then there is this select amount of dogs, varying each day, that get left tied to the fence. I can't figure this group out. Its almost like time-out at recess. Like maybe they did something wrong on the walk there and are now being punished by being made to do the dog equivalent of "sit on the bench".

In terms of disciplining dogs its unusual. People tend to baby their dogs in the US, but here in Buenos Aires they quickly, without any hesitation swat at the slightest inkling of bad behavior. It may be a whack with your hand, a newspaper, a flower you were buying, basically whatever is closest and in your hand to reprimand the dog. Many people in the United States would probably find the treatment a bit harsh, but on the other hand those people are probably the ones with the really poorly behaved dogs.

Another thing about dogs here in the Buenos Aires is they tend to be larger. I have seen very few small dogs. The smallest a dog tends to be here is probably some sort of terrier. I mean they just don't have the toy dogs like we do in the United States. The motto seems to be if you want a toy dog you should just get a cat.

Now for the best part of this post.....Pictures of Dogs here in Argentina......

Oh....that lab....
What you missed is this guy telling the dogs not to step up on the stoop where he is...and they all listened!

I love this picture!



These guys literally probably have close to 35 dogs between the two of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment