18 October 2011

Being a Tourist Part 4

After the debacle that was Being a Tourist Part 3....I welcome you to Part 4 on this wonderful journey through Argentina into a neighborhood called Palermo Soho. Many of you may know that I live in Palermo...so yes this is within walking distance of my apartment....give me a break I went to the ghetto for you people last time. Anyways, some of you may be aware that people tend to refer to Buenos Aires as the Paris of South America.


Now I have to be honest...I have never been to Europe so I can neither substantiate that nickname with any facts nor can I refute it with facts. Nevertheless, I will certainly be commenting on it. First of all let me say whoever thought Buenos Aires resembled Paris was probably on something. There really aren't that many similarities from what I know of Paris to Buenos Aires. Honestly, Buenos Aires reminds me a lot of a big American city in its constructs, but it is far from American in terms of types of retail stores and restaurants. I think in this respect is probably where Buenos Aires earned that nickname. All that being said, there is a certain European charm to the city in certain neighborhoods where predominantly European immigrants settled.


So what is Palermo Soho then?? Well honestly its just like Soho in NYC....lots of small very trendy high end clothing stores, some cute restaurants, bakeries, bookstores, art galleries, and tons of mural work all along the walls. There is a young bohemian vibe to the neighborhood. It is actually one of the places in the city where I truly understand the comparisons to Europe.


Blah blah blah....more of my insight that I'm sure none of you really care about, well except maybe my mother but even then I think she is only pretending to care....so here are some pictures so you can get a sense for what I am talking about. Let's start with some of the pictures of the clothing stores, because we all know what a fashion trendy clothes whore I am! (Those of you that know me will love that!)


                                                      










What should we look at next??? I know my favorite thing in that area...coffee shops and bakeries!! YAY!!! COFFEE and FACTURAS!!!!

This is one of the first pictures here because it doubles as both a Starbucks Coffee shop and a clothing store and a hat vendor. How's that for multi-tasking?
Another one of those combined cafés and clothing stores....which are actually quite popular in Palermo Soho.


Best ice cream in Buenos Aires...according to more than one of the locals!


Okay so this place has, not penny candy because its in pesos and goes by weight, but for the sake of the little kid that inhabits my soul.....PENNY CANDY!! YAY!!! Also When I saw the name of this store I though....ugh Dr. Candy where is Nurse Candy...and then I realized that that was probably a completely different kind of store :)


This is the Pandedería where I bought my first dozen facturas....this is where the addiction started....take a good look....my mouth is watering....just kidding (sort of)
That's right...a gourmet cupcake shop in Buenos Aires....you bet your ass I got one and it was DELICIOUS!!!


Another common sight in Palermo Soho are the people who sell their homemade goods along the side of the road. Here are some pictures of those people!




 
If you can see the lovely wooden puzzles on this table then I think you know EXACTLY what my grandfather will be receiving for Christmas!




I guess the only part left of Palermo Soho is the very end of Honduras....It is really different. It is basically a whole bunch of bars, restaurants, and boliches all together. A HUGE tourist attraction really, but a great place to go at night for a drink. Reminds me a little bit of Boylston St. in Boston on a Friday or Saturday night only its like that every single night. And we will end with those pictures!



So Tazz is a really cool pool bar....it just takes FOREVER to actually get to play!


That's right this area is open 24 HRS!!! AWESOMENESS!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment