26 October 2011

Argentina Musicians Part 1

Okay this one is going to be filled with youtube videos with all sort of Argentina musicians......actually on second thought this is just going to be more than one part too.....way easier....plus I'm busy this week. I promise a post is coming of my internships....I just need a free minute! Enjoy!

I debated for a while about who I should start this post about but ultimately I am going to start with the person who I kind of think is the Argentina version of Frank Sinatra, Carlos Gardel. Carlos Gardel is probably the most famous tango singer from Argentina. The man pretty much sang any and every tango song I think I've heard. His stuff is very old school, very play-it-on-a-vinyl-record but great! One of his most famous tangos is Mi Buenos Aires Querido...Listen below...I even picked the version with the translation...aren't I nice?

Many refer to Carols Gardel as the ''King of Tango'' because he really is the most recognizable tango voice in the entire genre. I guess the title fits.

The next person I am going to talk about is not only a famous musician here in Buenos Aires, but he also has quite an interesting personal life. His name is Gustavo Cerati. He is actual a more rock musician and quite possibly one of Argentina's most famous modern musicians. Originally he was the lead singer for a Latin Rock group known as Soda Stereo and in the 90's actually went out on his own to pursue a solo career. He was quite successful until disaster struck. After a concert in Venezuela in 2010 he suffered a stroke and is now in a coma. I first heard about Cerati on my first night here. People in the bar were discussing just how sad his story was. He was becoming quite famous and many would argue was at the height of his career when he suffered a massive stroke leaving him in a persistent vegetative state. I have listened to a lot of his music and actually enjoy it quite a bit. Of course I tend to enjoy his slower songs, but would you expect any less from me really. Here is an example of one of his songs called Crimen...its the music video so no translation....hope you still like it....


No comments:

Post a Comment